Thursday, December 13, 2012

Shutters and Xmas Cedar

When I was a kid we lived in a lot of different houses.  My grandmother said my parents moved every time the kitchen floor needed mopping. 

OK, so it wasn’t quite that bad, but we did move often.  It was always the same town - just different sub-divisions.  My parents were masters at trading up!  


Almost every house had shutters – which I thought odd since none of them worked.  They were permanently screwed to the house.  So from an early age I always wondered ‘why bother’?


Now I have working shutters.  They’re original – 1830. We had to replace some of the hardware.  The shutters had been screwed to the house - of course.  But, the hinges were still attached and working.



This house is perfectly positioned to make the most of the sunlight.  The sun hits the back of the house warming the kitchen and hangout area in the morning and warming the living room and dining rooms in the afternoon.  In fact the sun is positioned directly in the center hall entrance.  I keep the shutters closed during the summer months.  The afternoon sun is like an oven.


Last weekend it was time to open up the shutters. 



While I was working my shutters, I had a moment of inspiration and decided to do some holiday decorating.    
  
Last year I think I tossed a wreath at the front door and called it done.  Even inspired I still lack patience, so for me decorating has to be quick.  Killing two birds with one stone, I cut down a couple of cedar trees growing too close to the guest house.  Instead of tossing them on the compost pile I stuffed them in the empty concrete pots on either side of the front door, filled the base with boxwood, fluffed the wreaths with cedar, red ribbon and painted gourds from the garden. 



Decorating done! 


 I might not win the Garden Club prize but at least I’m no Scrooge this year!

3 comments:

  1. your home is a stunning example of southern architecture and i am crazy for operating shutters, shouldn't they all be?

    great effort.....looks good!
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely custom shutters. I would like to buy shutters as lovely as those designs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...