Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Courtyard Design Winter Mission

The pool re-do was supposed to start this week, but it's actually raining here in Georgia so its been postponed for a couple of weeks.  Yesterday I quickly draw up the back of the house and the courtyard to see how the grey concrete and dark band would look around the pool.  I removed the white lattice fence panels so its easier to see the space.  My mission over this winter is to figure out a design plan for the entire space.  I'm determined to have that courtyard tricked out by next spring! I'm going to have to do it in stages, but I know I need to have a master plan so I don't just start doing stupid shit and then have to start over - which is usually the case. 

I'm starting the design process by listing everything C and I have talked about wanting in the space.  Here are some of the ideas:


The first thought would be to do something very traditional aka a Charleston style courtyard since we already have the brick fencing, but I can't go that far.  Some elements, like the boxwood...yes...but I need to change it up a bit and mix old and new.

There must be a shade structure.  Right now that's nothing and my fair young skin can no longer take so much sun!  Again the first thing that comes to mind is a traditional white columned pergola...

But I've also thought about a more basic structure and staining it very dark grey or charcoal.

Then again the idea of a modern metal structure covered with vines makes me all giddy...I hate that red fireplace but the primitive table under the metal arbor is all good...

I love this.  I also may as well forget about it unless someone sends it to me!

Or giant pots and trees which create the structure...
(BTW...I had bunch at that second table about 10 years ago)...

Seating placement is the next thing on the list.  I like how this furniture is positioned and it could be interesting situated next to the pool aka that grass is the pool...
and I'm all about those trees...

The seating could go more modern and conversational...
notice that both of these images back up to free standing walls....

Which means the next must have is some type of freestanding wall(s) within the courtyard to divide the space...I like these short wood slat walls...

But these is super chic...


I saw this at Biltmore.  It's a metal grid which has been planted with vines and espaliered shrubs...

C want to espalier the lattice panels on the exterior brick courtyard wall...a fucking grand idea as long as he's the one training it!



Next there has to be some structural stuff...

...including the plants...
Maybe bamboo planted in long narrow planters...


I'm also all about traditional Italian urns...perhaps planted with little gem magnolias...


or clipped boxwood...

Or citrus trees and palms...

...in planters...

...and/or clipped trees planted in rows...


So plenty of ideas...now I just need to make them work together.  More to come...all ideas and thoughts are welcomed...

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to see where this project lands, so many great ideas. good luck choosing!
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. as long as you include lots of clipped boxwood i'll be happy. and i think it's a fucking grand thing that you are not talking christmas yet.

    and when are you gonna remove word verification from your comments? i'm v lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...